Children preparing to receive Holy Communion for the first time are also prepared to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation for the first time.
The preparation is gradual.
- It includes opportunities in school or in the Saturday classes to consider what makes us sorry about the way we live; and how we wish to live, close to Jesus.
- An important dimension of the child's preparation is the exploring the experience of sin and forgiveness, wrong-doing and mercy in the context of home and family life.
- Parents are best able to support their child's preparation when they have learnt to make celebrations of the Sacrament a regular part of their own life in in faith. In addition to the weekly opportunities for Confession, parents and candidates older siblings are urged to take part in the parish seasonal celebrations of the Sacrament of Confession in Advent and Lent.
- The leaflet available here reminds of the shape and different moments in the celebration of the Sacrament.
- Pope Francis recently spoke with young people about the Sacrament and stressed the importance of thinking about it in the right way!
- A suggested way for building a time of acknowledging fault and failing and for celebrating forgiveness and mercy within the routine of family life at home
- Parables of Jesus that help us open our minds and hearts to the mercy of God.
- Details of confirmed dates for First Confessions are linked to on the Holy Communion page